The holidays are one of the most wonderful times of year to hit the road and visit family and friends both near and far. However, using your vehicle that much can present you with difficulty if you haven’t taken the proper precautions. How can you stay safe while driving your car this fall and winter?
The Importance of Vehicle Safety During the Holidays
While proper maintenance and driving safely are critical at all times of the year, they are especially important during the winter months. In the United States, car crashes are the leading cause of death for people between the ages of 1-54, and accidents often increase during periods of winter weather or when many cars are on the road traveling. Throughout this holiday season, we encourage you to buckle up, drive sober and stay safe.
Vehicle Safety Tips for the Holidays
- Always obey speed limits, particularly on busy roads or on roads where there is limited visibility.
- Drive without distractions. Encourage your children to stay independently occupied (reading, watching a movie, etc.) while you drive to limit in-car distractions. Never use your phone while driving to make calls or send messages, unless you use a Bluetooth integrated with your car.
- Remember that all children aged 12 and under should be buckled in safely and securely in the proper car seat or booster seat in the backseat.
- Have your car inspected by Thunderbird Automotive before leaving for your trip. This will ensure no maintenance needs to be performed, that your tires are properly inflated, that your brakes are properly functioning and that all fluids are topped off.
- Pack an emergency kit with blankets, flares, a spare tire, and other essentials to put in your trunk. Include water and non-perishable food like granola bars, along with extra winter gloves and hats. You never know when you might be sidelined due to an emergency in or out of your car!
- Never drive impaired. If you are planning on drinking at a holiday party or event, do not plan on driving. Use a designated driver to get home safely, or use a taxi service.
Stay Safe this Holiday Season with Thunderbird Automotive
Thunderbird Automotive is a leader in auto repair and maintenance in Phoenix, AZ thanks to our awesome customer service, broad range of repair services and expertise. To learn more about our services and get your vehicle checked out, please contact us at (602) 938-3631.